Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Friday, February 27, 2015

IPPE Assignments

Hello, if you are like me then you are reading this blog because you are interested in applying and attending Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy.  I am a second year student now but I remember back to when I was applying for pharmacy school, I read every single blog that was posted.  With that being said I want to briefly mention one of my favorite things that we do at school.  Starting in the spring of your first year, each student is assigned a specific rotation during the week.  The first year the rotations are at various community (retail) pharmacies in the surrounding area(s).  The second year the rotations move to hospitals and dialysis clinics, and in the third year you move to an 8 hour rotation.  This main purpose of each rotation is to grant the student with exposure to the possibilities that await us upon graduation.  During each rotation you might be asked to complete various assignments.  These could range from simply filling prescriptions, keying prescriptions in a computerized system, doing medication reconciliation reports, taking a drug request over the phone, researching patient question, and possible presentations.

During my first year I did a rotation at Walgreens, every time I would go in my preceptor would have me do a “scavenger hunt” throughout the store.  My preceptor would have a series of say 20 questions (ex:  Which over the counter allergy medication will deliver results the fastest?), I would then go on the sales floor and answer her questions.  When I finished and presented my answers to her, she would go over anything that I had missed and explain to me why a different option would be better.  She would also have me do medication follow up calls to new patients.

Sometimes a project might seem pointless, but in doing the project we realize how lucky we are to have all our information at the touch a cell phone.  I recently did a rotation at a local hospital with a classmate we were asked up to make the updates in the Facts and Comparisons book.  This particular book is roughly 1700 pages and each month various changes are made.  Packets are sent out with directions such as; remove pages 10-16a and add pages 10-16j or remove pg 1100 and add the updated pg 1100.  My classmate and I spent roughly 40 minutes on this task.  As we worked we thought, man this would stink if we had to refer to this large book on a regular basis.  We were both very grateful for online resources.

These are just a few of the many different assignments or projects that one might be asked to complete on a rotation, but rest assured each task has a purpose.  There is always something that can be learned from each assignment.  If you have any further questions about my experiences on rotations or in pharmacy school in general, please feel free to email me at castaggs@presby.edu.  We look forward to meeting and seeing you at one our open house events.

Caleb
P2 - Class of 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment