Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Real Meaning of Community

My name is Patrick, and I am currently a P2 here at PCSP.  One of the major things that I have discovered here in Clinton, SC is just what a small town community feels like.  This town is very proud of Presbyterian College, and the School of Pharmacy is no exception.  Many of the local businesses and restaurants offer us discounts just for being a student at the school.  I know that personally I had my reserves about living in a small town, as I had only ever lived the suburbs or the city, but honestly, I have found Clinton to be both a welcoming and positive town to go to school in.  As I’ve become closer to the community and my classmates, I’ve found a number of things to do around town in our free time.  Whether it’s simply going to one of the restaurants around town for a bite to eat, or getting a group of people together to play some intramural sports, there’s always a way to fit a little fun into your schedule.  The school offers access to the main campus student center, which includes a gym complete with weight room, treadmills, stationary bikes, as well as a full court to play basketball.  There are also several intramural fields which are open to play sports, from football to Frisbee.  

Many of our organizations put on events as well.  There was recently a joint effort put forth by all of the pharmaceutical organization towards the beginning of the semester that aimed to both increase interest in the organizations here at the pharmacy school as well as provide a venue for all of the classes to meet and mingle.  It was a fun and relaxed environment where pizza and drinks were catered, and students could relax and get to know one another.  Many events like this occur throughout the year, which really attributes to the comradery between our classmates and the City of Clinton. 

Although the population and size of the town may not be what I am used to, I find that the close knit feeling of a small town has been helpful both to my social and professional goals.  I’m originally from Ohio, so moving this far from home was honestly very intimidating.  I was both relieved and impressed with how easy it is to get comfortable here.  There is most definitely a family feeling that springs from the faculty, staff, and students that sprouts within the walls of PCSP, and it extends into the community of Clinton.  I have enjoyed my time here so far, and look forward to the time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment