Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PCSP Students Join VCOM on Medical Mission Trip to El Salvador

July 8-16, 2012 will be a week etched in my memory.   


One of my closest colleagues, Jennifer Carter and I were able to join VCOM (Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine) on a medical mission journey in El Salvador.  We were invited to go to offer pharmacy services, consulting, and general assistance, but it turned into much more.   This particular medical trip centered around children and their families.  While dispensing drugs and counseling patients was our primary responsibility during this trip our responsibilities quickly expanded.  It was very apparent the orphanages and villages we visited were in need of medical attention, but this was not all these folks needed.  Love and affection was something intangible we could offer and easily provide that did not require a prescription. 

One day in particular resonates in my mind, the visit to the children’s HIV home and special needs home.  It was heart wrenching to see children abandoned simply due to a genetic condition or infected by such a horrible disease.   The smiles on the children’s faces and the unconditional love they offered to all of us made me realize that life is much more than materialistic things.  Children possess such resilience which is infectious in the most positive way and is totally indescribable.  A touch or a hug from one of the children was just as much therapy for me as it was for them.  The language barrier was non-existent, love and affection is truly universal.

While on this trip, I learned a lot not only from the patients, but the other health professionals involved.  The local physicians and medical students were truly passionate about helping their people.  I was amazed at the love, attention, and compassion the physicians provided to the patients.  I was lucky enough to assist in counseling patients with a pharmacist from El Salvador.  He taught me to listen with patience and take time to learn the culture as this could play a very important role when properly treating a patient.  This type of experience doesn’t come by very often and I thank God every day I had the opportunity to join in on this medical trip with VCOM.



I will forever be touched by the relationships I made with other health professionals and the patients I had the opportunity to help heal.   A medical mission trip is a must for those with big hearts, unconditional love, and the desire to make a positive impact on the world.       
Written by Kimberly, P3 student

No comments:

Post a Comment