Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Research as a Pharmacy Student


As a third year student, I have realized the importance and significance of conducting research. Research plays a vital role in contributing to new discoveries and the advancement of health care. At PCSP, we have many faculty members who conduct research in both the clinical sciences and basic sciences. I have had the opportunity to work with a faculty member on a research project regarding the Human Papillomavirus 16.

The objective of my project was to investigate and observe the integration status of the virus into the human genome. After doing this, I was given the task of correlating the information to clinical samples we obtained from a local hospital.  Ultimately, this would help us to identify which patients were diagnosed appropriately with a pre-cancerous state, resulting from the viral integration.

By engaging in research with a faculty member, I was able to develop research skills and gain a better understanding of how research is conducted. After concluding my research project, I had the ability to create a research poster and present my data at a local conference. Furthermore, I have developed a relationship with my mentor which will help guide me through my pharmacy career.

I encourage you to be involved in research, even if that is not what you desire to do post-graduation. Research exposes you to other areas of pharmacy and provides you with additional education that you do not learn inside the classroom. I have gained experience, knowledge, and a mentor all which can only continue to benefit me during my time as a student. Plus, research is fun!

Arathi

P3-Class of 2016

1 comment:

  1. The Hospitals in India offer excellent treatment and surgery options, including endocrinology, cardiology, skin and laser treatment, neurosurgery and orthopedics.

    ReplyDelete