Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pharmacy Student Thanksgiving


Patrick, checking in! Thank you for reading my blogs thus far. I am now at my 3rd year of pharmacy school and feeling a little closer to the finish line.

Thanksgiving… Huh? This time of year you think about the biggest meal of the fall semester. I view it as the pre-game to Fat Tuesday in the Spring. I am not here to talk about food or gluttony, but what you might expect during your thanksgiving as a pharmacy student. My first thanksgiving in pharmacy school, I have stayed here in Clinton, South Carolina. This was my first thanksgiving away from home. During this time, there were either assignments and/or exams that put me in a hold for traveling back. How many of us have been there before? My home is in Florida and it takes about an 8 hour trip. Home was a little further away than most student families who live here in the state locally. While in Clinton, I went to two thanksgivings. The first thanksgiving meal was with a classmate’s family who lives in Columbia. I enjoyed my time there. The atmosphere felt a little touch of home. There were insides jokes shared around and I had no clue about it but laughed sincerely. I stayed with them the first half of the day. I then traveled back from Columbia to Clinton. As soon I reached my room, I instantly passed out for a few hours. I was invited to my second thanksgiving with peers, which was hosted at their apartment in Clinton. Let’s say, I almost passed out at their place but kept my composure just enough to crawl back into my bed.   

My thanksgiving in my second year in pharmacy school was a last minute idea. I thought I was planning to hibernate for the break to recharge from the fast pace and mountain high assignments throughout the semester. This time around though, I spent it in Florida. Where does the last minute come in? It all started with a question from my roommate. He asked what I was planning to do for thanksgiving break after classes. I told him that I planned to sleep the entire weekend and not leave from the bed and do some reading on upcoming material. I had told my family ahead of time that I would be staying in South Carolina. Then it just hit me. I decided it was a perfect opportunity to surprise them. I packed some clothes and books in my backpack and drove without a second thought. I am glad to have made that drive. I completely psyched my family out. Just imagine it is around 10PM and your garage opens. They are not expecting their son to come back from an 8 hour trip until winter break. Oh… I got them good. I am sure deep inside they appreciated the surprise. I saw their expressions then after the warm hugs and exchanges of words over tea, I knew I made the right decision to go and surprise them. At the end of the day, I passed out after eating great home cooked food.

This year, I am planning to do the same and surprise them. It has been setup too perfectly. My family has already assumed that I will be spending time in South Carolina studying for the upcoming exam. Oh, just you wait.


This is Patrick signing off!

Patrick
P3 - Class of 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment