Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Volunteering in the Community


At PCSP, we follow the motto of, “While we live, we serve.” As future pharmacists, we must be sensitive to the idea of the Care for the Community. Since our patients live in the communities we will one day practice, we must be sensitive to the needs of our communities, to ensure the healthiest patients. As healthcare professionals, we have a duty to the upmost care of our patients and communities as a whole.

I have been able to give back to the community of Clinton by serving as a weekly volunteer at the Palmetto Therapeutic Riding Program, located right here in Clinton, SC. This program provides horseback riding lessons to children and adults with different disabilities. At the lessons, I help prepare the horses, and assist in the actual lessons. I will sometimes lead the horses, or serve as a side-walker to some riders. Not only has this given me the chance to give back to others, but the experience has been extremely rewarding to me as well! This gives me a few hours each week that I can have a break from school and studying. Being around the horses and animals is a relaxing experience. In addition, it is very fulfilling to watch the progression of the riders and the joy they experience from the lessons and the time with the horses.


Overall, volunteering in the community has been extremely beneficial. I have the opportunity to serve the community and have learned more about the importance of the care for the community motto. Not only am I helping others, but I look forward to attending the lessons each week! I highly encourage you to be actively involved in the community during your time here at PCSP. You won’t regret it!

Annie
P1 - Class of 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment