Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Choosing Another Fork




I have not always wanted to be a pharmacist. I originally chose a fork that took me into nutrition. It was a good choice. I enjoyed the classes. I learned a lot of interesting things. And I got to play with food and then teach people about it. So I started a summer internship in a hospital and thought, this will be great! As I am talking with a patient about his new cardiac diet after having a heart attack, his family brings in lunch for him, a fast food bag full of food. He says it’s because his new food…well it just wasn't as good. I had other situations occur similar to this one. I went back and started to rethink my plan of how I wanted to help people stay healthy and get better. So off I went in search of another fork to go down. That was when I found the fork to the world of pharmacy. I was told patients no longer want to work so hard to get healthy. They want a pill that will help do the work for them. So, I started working in a pharmacy. Not only do they just dispense medicine, but these pharmacists dispense knowledge and advice to patients. And get this…the patients actually listened to them! They are helping patients improve their lifestyles, which is what I wanted to do all along. Well, I am now in my third year of pharmacy school and realizing that while it took me longer to get here, it was one of the best choices I have ever made. There are many others here with different degrees, teaching degrees, finance degrees, etc. So just because your original fork may not have been pharmacy, remember that you can always choose another fork that leads you here. Trust me when I say, you will be so glad you did. 

- Lindsay Helms

No comments:

Post a Comment