Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Monday, January 28, 2013

Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes



Hey!  My name is Kemper, and I am in my first year at PC School of Pharmacy.  A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to volunteer through PCSP for the American Diabetes Association at their event in Greenville titled “Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes”.  I was part of a group of around 10-15 pharmacy students from the school who volunteered that day.  

At the event, some students passed out educational diabetes pamphlets, some sold event merchandise, some interacted with walkers, and some passed out stickers for walkers to wear which stated “I’m Walking for _____________”.  I was paired with a few fellow students, and we were in charge of handing out the stickers.  Through this interaction, we met some very inspiring and truly amazing people.  We met people who were walking for family members, friends, coworkers, and even themselves. I’m glad I had the opportunity to volunteer at this event, and I plan and look forward to volunteering at this event next year.

Part of PCSP curriculum includes required professional volunteer hours as well as non-professional volunteer hours.  I feel this requirement enhances not only our personal skills, but our education as well.  Personally, this “requirement” has become an activity I enjoy and look forward to every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment