Welcome to the Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy blog!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Advice for High School Students


My name is Lynne, and I am a P1 at PCSP.  To all those high school students who are pondering what to do in their future, this is for you.  High school is an important time in your life which most students do not realize.  There are so many important decisions that have to be made during that time, such as going to college or starting a new job.  If one decides to go to college, more difficult decisions have to be made.  Which college should you attend?  What should you major in?  When I was a junior in high school, I began my first job as a clerk in an independent pharmacy.  While working there I had the opportunity to observe and learn the roles of a pharmacist and pharmacy technicians.  After a week of working there, I fell in love with the environment of a pharmacy; I enjoyed interacting with patients, learning about medications, and helping others in the community.  Working in the pharmacy when I was 16 years old changed my life.  Who knew that starting as a clerk would lead to becoming a technician and intern, and eventually a career as a pharmacist?  The best advice I can give any young student is if you are even slightly interested in pursuing a career as a pharmacist, go out and search for opportunities to work in a pharmacy or become an intern.  It is extremely important to be familiar with pharmacy as a career before starting pharmacy school. 

When choosing a college that best fits you, it is important to look at colleges that offer the appropriate prerequisites.  There are numerous colleges/universities that offer classes for pharmacy school, including Presbyterian College.  I cannot emphasize enough the importance of starting the process for pharmacy school early.  There is so much to do and time seems to fly I would strongly recommend talking to your advisor so he/she can guide you further in starting this process.  Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment